I stumbled up on this idea.,…
I enjoy traditional bread pudding. There’s nothing like it. Delicious, full of carbs…you know….everything that makes food good. And then, I added chocolate to it. And then I added Baileys Irish Creme. And then I added Irish Whiskey! I think you get the picture. This turned out to be something indescribable. The chocolate custard is intensified by the instant espresso; and made more divine by the semi-sweet chocolate chips sprinkled throughout.
And finally….add the Irish whiskey caramel cream….WOW!!!
Watch me make it: [embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwOeNNaLODY[/embedyt]
To make the custard...
- 1 lb Italian bread, cut into cubes
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups half-n-half
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee (or espresso)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
To make the Irish Whiskey Caramel Cream...
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Bailey's Irish Creme
- 1 cup Irish Whiskey
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Cut bread into cubes and allow to sit out to stale slightly. OR place in oven on 250 degrees for approx 15 minutes.
- Combine eggs, cream, sugars, vanilla, cocoa and instant coffee. Use a whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips throughout bread cubes.
- Pour custard on top of bread cubes with chocolate chips.
- Allow to soak for at least 30 minutes for before baking. Ensure all bread pieces have liquid.
- After bread has soaked. Bake on 350 degrees for 35 - 45 minutes until knife comes out clean.
Irish Whiskey Cream Caramel
- Melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar.
- Once butter and brown sugar are combined, slowly add Irish Creme. Combine well. Slowly add Irish whiskey. Combine well.
- Bring do a steady boil for approx 10 - 15 minutes. Allows the alcohol to cook out and the liquid to reduce.
- Once complete, stir in whipped cream.
- When bread pudding comes out of oven, pour hot caramel sauce over pudding so pudding can absorb sauce.