Red Velvet Pound Cake
Christmas isn't Christmas without red velvet cake! Here's another confession... Layered red velvet cakes are sometimes a little bit a pain to put together. The first time I tried this as a pound cake several years ago, the cake came out a little too dry for me. So I messed around a little bit more, and then BOOM! I figured out what to do. The beauty of pound cakes, is there are so many variations, you can just keep messing around until it's just like you want it. So, I came up with a way to enjoy the benefits of red velvet, without a dry cake.Prepare yourself, this cake is so moist and delicious, you won't know what to do!
For the cake...
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ozs red food coloring
For the glaze...
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/2 block cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (more/less to taste)
- Add Milk/Cream (add 1 - 2 Tbps at a time, until desired consistency is achieved)
Prepare the cake
- Cream softened butter and cream cheese.
- Add sugar and cream together.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder and food coloring. Mix by becoming like a paste.
- Combine cocoa-coloring paste in with sugar and cream mixture. Mix well until all fully incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add cake flour, one cup at a time.
- When flour well combined, add vanilla. Mix all well.
- Pour batter into sprayed/greased bundt cake pan. Do not full over 1/2 to 1/3 pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hr 15 minutes. Until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool on baking rack for approx 10 minutes, then flip the cake over.
- Spread glaze once the cake has cooled.
Prepare the glaze...
- Combine cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, sifted powdered sugar. Slowly stir in cream (or milk) 1 - 2 tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour/spread over the cake once the cake is cooled.
- Prepare to be praised and adored by everyone who tastes your totally awesome cake!