Cheesy Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 large russet potatoes, sliced 1/8" thin (skin on)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 lb bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese (any mix will do!!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice the potatoes thinly, approximately 1/8" and place in cold water to soak. The cold water will remove excess starch and keep the potatoes color for cooking.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and gently cook the potato slices until they are flimsy. They should not fall apart or break, but they should be very pliable. When the potatoes are ready, remove from the heat so they do not continue cooking. This should take 4 - 7 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter and cook the onions and garlic until fragrant and soft.
- Add the flour to the skillet and continue stirring until the flour is absorbed by the butter.
- Pour in the heavy cream and chicken broth and continue stirring to bring to a boil. The liquid will begin to thicken.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and continue stirring until the cheese melts. Salt & pepper as desired.
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place 1/4 cup the cheesy cream sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on the potatoes. Spread approx. 1/3 cup of the cheesy cream sauce on the shredded cheese. Sprinkle a handful of chopped bacon. Repeat until the top of the dish is reached.
- Top with the last of the shredded cheese and bacon (lots of bacon!).
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 75 - 90 minutes until a fork goes easily through to the bottom of the dish.
- Remove from oven, remove foil and let stand for 15 - 20 minutes before serving.