Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 – 3 unripe green tomatoes
- 1 – 2 cups flour + 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 -2 cups bread crumbs + ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt pinch
- Peanut oil for frying
Parmesan Basil Aioli
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic recommend garlic paste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 cup olive oil
For the Fried Green Tomatoes…
- In a large skillet (preferable cast iron) add peanut oil until the skilled is ⅔ full.
- Heat the peanut oil to approx 340 degrees for frying.
- Cut off the ends of the tomatoes and slice them about ¼ inch thick
- Lightly salt the tomatoes and set aside to prepare your 3 station batter
- Bowl 1: All purpose flour and salt
- Bowl 2: Buttermilk
- Bowl 3: Bread crumbs and Parmesan
- Dredge the tomatoes in the flour (Bowl 1)
- Dip in the buttermilk (Bowl 2)
- Dredge in the bread crumbs (Bowl 3)
- TIP: Prepare all of your tomatoes before you begin frying. That way you can focus on the tomatoes as they cook instead of trying to keep breading and watching the cooking tomatoes.
- Fry the tomatoes in your skillet; be careful not to overcrowd the skillet.
- Flip the tomatoes after about 3-4 minutes when the bottom side is golden brown.
- Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the other side is also golden brown. You should only flip the tomatoes once during frying.
- When done, remove the tomatoes from the oil and place them on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with the dipping sauce of your choice!
For the Parmesan Basil Aioli
- Combine the egg, mustard and garlic into a small bowl and combine using a hand immersion blender.
- Once the mixture is smooth, SLOWLY drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to use the immersion blender.
- When the mixture is thick and spreadable (like mayo), stir in the Parmesan and basil.
- Taste it and add salt as desired.
NOTE: If you don’t have a hand immersion blender, you can also use a food processor or a regular blender. Technically you can also just use a whisk. It’ll take quite a bit of elbow grease, but it will get the job done!