Honey-Poblano Corn Muffins
This has become one of my new favorite cornbread recipes. Usually, people spice up corn muffins with jalapeno peppers. But I prefer poblano peppers. Why? Because poblanos are a rich and smoky flavored pepper that's not dependent on heat to give it flavor. The flavor of poblano pepper is distinct and (to me) delightful. You can make these with sugar, but the kiss of natural sweetness from honey, combined with the smoky flavor of the poblano just makes me all giddy inside! I hope you enjoy it. (BTW - this pairs wonderfully with the Triple "B" Baked Beans!)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large poblano pepper, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, egg, honey and buttermilk.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients; be careful not to over stir, the batter should be lumpy.
- Stir in the chopped poblano peppers.
- Pour batter into muffin sprayed muffin tins (or use paper liners).
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Immediately brush the tops with butter after removing them from the oven.